Monday, September 10, 2007

Ever had a day like this....








My good friend and neighbor, Cami is going back to work after 4 years of being stay-at-home mommy. So, as one last hoorah we decided last week that we'd take our 2 boys to Peter Piper Pizza today to eat and play games.

It turned into a hellacious (UNDERSTATEMENT) time of Luke not obeying, crying and screaming, Luke not eating his pizza and only wanting to drink his lemonade and stare at the games I wouldn't allow him to play until he ate that ONE piece of pizza. He fought me every step of the way.

We made two trips to the bathroom to whip his bare little butt and 2 times he was put in timeout. Once for not listening, the other for hitting Matthew. He tried and tested me at every opportunity. It was a battle of the wills and I was not backing down.

No pizza, no games--plain and simple! It was NON-NEGOTIABLE. Finally, after 1 hour of staring at, fingering and picking off the pineapple Luke ate his pizza and was then allowed to play.

Ok, let me just tell you how incredibly frustrated I was. I seriously wanted to knock his head off. Had I not been the one who drove us all I would have left 15 minutes into our visit. Luke was just awful. He was being stubborn, deliberately disobedient, strong-willed. I was so frustrated that I spent the majority of the visit sitting at the table telling Luke, "eat that pizza now, or we're going back into the bathroom for another spanking, because you are not listening to me and not making a good choice". Oh, he'd want to eat the pizza--AFTER I'd threaten him with a spanking.

If you know me though, I'm all about follow through. If I tell him to do something and he chooses to make a poor choice he get's the consequences. I just hate it though, because it really does hurt the parent more than it does the kid. I felt bad for Cami and Matthew because it was suppose to be a fun last hoorah day. Instead I feel like we ruined it. Although, sweet Cami was always reassuring me that Matthew has his days like this too....Well...I still felt bad.

In the car ride home Luke didn't listen again and talked back to me. Zero tolerance policy (my new name for discipline) dictated another spanking when we got home. I warned him, he disobeyed and so as we drove up in the driveway Luke said this: "Mommy I good boy, no need spanking". I said, "Nope you weren't good at all and you will be getting a spanking when we get inside." He got to visit with Mr. No No (the wooden spoon) right before taking his nap.

It's been a long day. Thankfully tonight is my girls night out Pokeno game. Maybe the little monster will wake up an angel tomorrow. I sure hope so. Thanks for listening to me vent.
P.S. In the skeeball shot, notice which lane Luke's ball's in.

Heather

3 comments:

Kirtus and Dana said...

I've had many days like that! And I'm still having them from time to time. I think you did good. I know it's hard girl!!! I try to remember that the reward will come when he is 18, 23, 25, 30, 40...and not in jail or something worse.

3 Men, 2 Ladies and a Hound said...

Too many to count!!!

Amber said...

Girl- I completely understand your frustration!! Be reassured- anyone that has toddlers have gone through this- Luke isn't the only one. Beau can be so stubborn I just want to pinch his little head off.......